Sunday, July 12, 2009

And now, my teeth.

I'm thinking that broadening the subject matter of this blog might serve it/me well. So instead of reflecting only on cancer treatment, it'll now include observations on other physical failings. As I've noted elsewhere, once one turns 40 the wheels really do fall off.

This week: my teeth. I had a root canal. Two weeks ago, my dentist asked how things are going and after confirming that everything was fine, I made an off-hand remark about occasional sensitivity to cold in the tooth behind my canine tooth on the upper-right side. Cut to last Friday, and I'm Novocained up to the eyeballs (well, almost - I lost sensitivity in my nose) at the endodontist. I was referred there after they discovered that the root in this tooth is shaped like an "S" as opposed to the more conventional/desirable "I." Tricky.

Side note: during the procedure, the endodontist discussed the UofO football team, the Seattle Mariners and the fact that he'd just found his cell phone after ordering two alternates from Verizon - he was most anxious for his staff NOT to sign for delivery of the new phones. I think he's a good dentist - just very chatty....

But I survived my first root canal relatively unscathed, although the Novocaine hangover is still with me. Now all that remains is for me to go back to my dentist to get the temporary filling made permanent. Pity, then, that his office is closed for a week. I'll have to get used to chewing everything on the left side of my mouth for a while.

No comments: